Day 15…Two wonderful churches don’t let the rain keep them away!

I had a great time at the vigil today! It rained, that is true…but I had my trusty rain poncho on. It’s left over from our Maid of the Mist voyage, two years ago…so it’s not the most fashionable garment…but it did the trick. The beauty of today was getting to meet so many wonderful people from Mother of Sorrows parish in Murrysville. They really had their day organized…with shifts coming and going all day! I heard from our later shift manager, Dee, that our second church, Emmanuel Christian Church also had a nice group there…eight of them, including the pastor and the associate pastor! I just love the fact that we have had so many pastors and priests at our vigil this time! I bet we have our enemy shaking in his little space boots right now.

Anyway, just to recap a couple notable things that happened this morning. One was rather unpleasant. A man decided to harass us for about 40 straight minutes. He simply wouldn’t leave. He was up in our faces, spit flying everywhere from his mouth. It was gross. It seems that he is very offended when anyone tries to talk about God to him. He is an atheist, was raised by atheist parents, and thinks the whole idea of a God is ridicules. It was interesting to me that his argument had not much to do with abortion, but centered around God. And who says this is a political battle? This is a spiritual battle, first and foremost! So, during his ravings, we continued to pray together….read scripture…even sing. He eventually left.

Another noteworthy happening was this; the “Medical Waste” truck pulled up to the abortion clinic…I am sure you can figure out what they came to pick up. It was very disturbing, looking at that truck, imagining the precious, one-of-a-kind masterpieces that God was creating and had good plans for…now being disposed of as “medical waste”. While the truck driver was inside the clinic picking up the “waste”, Mary Jean had the idea to walk around the truck seven times, while saying “Jesus is Lord” to ourselves. I said, “Sure!” So Mary Jean, Jerry and I walked around the truck praying….we only made it 6 times before the driver was back in his seat, starting the truck to pull out. I wonder what he thought as he was watching us encircling his truck? I wonder if that gave him pause to reflect on what he is really picking up in that abortion clinic? Or maybe he just thought we were crazy.

I hope the group that was there during the thunderstorm was able to find shelter. I haven’t heard from anyone yet!

Here are some photos from this morning:

Jerry, Mary Jean, Dave, Jerry and Tom

Glenda and Megan

Jim and Frank

6 thoughts on “Day 15…Two wonderful churches don’t let the rain keep them away!

• March 24, 2011 at 6:31 am

Let us all pray for an end to abortion.

• March 24, 2011 at 8:54 am

You all must have really been effective for the evil one to send that man to bother you. You did the best thing by continuing to pray and read scripture and sing. Good job!

We T-F-S people have not seen the medical waste truck for years, and wondered what had become of it.

• March 24, 2011 at 12:41 pm

Yes, we know that we are stirring things up when people like that show up!

• March 24, 2011 at 9:44 am

The part about the tuck made me feel a little sick to my stomach, but I guess that’s a good thing. It’s an important reminder about the stakes in this battle.

Praying…

“Truly I tell you, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you.” Matt 17:20

• March 24, 2011 at 3:16 pm

NIcki – Regarding your day 15 experience with the angry man – I too congratulate you on the way you handled it. Thank you for sharing – for the example – I have a feeling he will be back. Your example will help any of us who have to have dealings with such a person. It is my hope though, that everyone realizes we have every right to be there, to be there peacefully, prayerfully – but let’s use our good judgement, the cops are there for our safety too – I think I would have called them. What is your feeling about that? I do hope everyone (at least captains) have cell phones and aren’t afraid to use them!

• March 24, 2011 at 10:19 pm

Thanks for your comment Lisa! Since he wasn’t verbally threatening to hurt us, or using obscenity, I thought it best to simply ignore him. I was ready to call 911 though, if it got threatening!